Food Romance

Most people like food, some people love food, I however am passionate about food. Not so much eating it, but preparing it and sharing it with others. I love the way food flavors and colors marry together into an exciting eating experience. I love to cook as if I am on a journey, delving into the untried and unknown only to find a new dish, both pleasing to the eye as well as the pallet. I have always been lucky with food, always seemed to find the right combination of ingredients, and never liked using a recipe. Repeats of dishes often differ slightly in taste and texture than they did the last time they were prepared, giving the palate a familiar flavor, but a new experience, a new romance....

Monday, October 18, 2010

Swedish Meatballs

When somebody tells you they are hungry for meatballs, does your mind go straight to  pasta with a marinara sauce?  Mine doesn’t, instead I think rice topped with a nice Swedish meatball in sauce.  So when I heard the word meatballs, off to the kitchen I went.

I started by mixing my ground beef in a bowl with a diced onion, some minced garlic, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce.2010-10-11_17-02-00_302  2010-10-11_17-02-53_844On the side I soaked 3 slices of white bread in milk.  I drained off all the milk and squeezed it out with my hands.  Mash up the bread until it is the consistency of paste,then add to the meat and mix it through.  I make the balls a bit bigger than a golf ball.

2010-10-11_17-08-45_952010-10-11_17-11-08_116

Fry the balls up in a large pan with about a half cube of butter.  After you have browned the balls on all sides, remove and set aside.

Depending on the grease left in the pan, you may have to add some more butter.  Add some flour and make a paste.  You should still have some tasty little bits from the meatballs hanging around in the pan. 

2010-10-11_17-24-08_1002010-10-11_17-24-36_785Keep heat on it, but watch for the burn.  Add some beef broth, milk and some salt and pepper.  Bring this to a light boil then reduce.  You should have a nice gravy working now.  Add browning sauce if you want, I prefer a light color with this dish. 

2010-10-11_17-30-29_525Drop the meatballs into the gravy and let simmer on low for about an hour, this will bring some nice flavors together.

I have cooked a plain white rice.  Tracey tries to get me to eat the wild brown rice, but this is so much tastier.  NEVER use minute rice, it’s for lazy people.  I mean, you went through all this and then use minute rice, well you get the point.

2010-10-11_18-17-56_197Serve three or four balls on the rice and cover with some gravy.  I guarantee you are going to love this dish, if you don’t, not my fault, you must have done it wrong. 

1 comment:

  1. I love meatballs in gravy vs a tomato sauce. But my girls always request meatballs with spaghetti. I'll have to try your technique with the bread & milk...

    Haha...the comment about minute rice was freakin funny. We are jasmine rice all the way! I suggest everyone needs to invest in a good rice steamer. Can't go wrong with the right tools :)

    Another thing I'm noting is the amount of time you like to simmer food... nice and slow; and for a long time. yay!??

    nicely done~

    ReplyDelete