Food Romance

Most people like food, some people love food, I however am passionate about food. Not so much eating it, but preparing it and sharing it with others. I love the way food flavors and colors marry together into an exciting eating experience. I love to cook as if I am on a journey, delving into the untried and unknown only to find a new dish, both pleasing to the eye as well as the pallet. I have always been lucky with food, always seemed to find the right combination of ingredients, and never liked using a recipe. Repeats of dishes often differ slightly in taste and texture than they did the last time they were prepared, giving the palate a familiar flavor, but a new experience, a new romance....

Friday, October 1, 2010


Sometimes the simple things in life are the best, take a hamburger for instance. They all have meat, usually some cheese and maybe a tomato. But ultimately they are the same, until somebody feels edgy and decides to take it over the top. My wife has always told me I cross the line a lot, I think she is talking about my sense of humor, but with cooking this absolutely holds true. Here are a few examples of burgers at my house. Here is a crowd pleaser every time I make it. It is best when you have a group of guys over for some football or general hanging out. The "bun" here is a loaf of garlic bread baked until crisp and golden brown. I add ketchup, tomato and avocado on the bottom, then bring on the meat! Here you will find 1 1/2 lbs of fresh ground beef topped with cheddar cheese, a nice deli pastrami and apple smoked bacon. I top this bad boy off with the standard mustard mayo combination and serve it up. It slices nicely into for large sections and wont leave you hungry.

Hint: Much easier to make two patties that butt up to each other, rather than one big one (much easier to turn on the grill)

Or, if you want to move into the arena of the totally different you may want to try this, but I warn you, it is not a low calorie recipe and it is NOT cardiologist approved. Here is one of my all time favorite burgers. Start with a fresh glazed doughnut, yeah you heard me right, a glazed doughnut. This baby has mayo, tomato, ground beef with cheese, bacon and a fried egg. The sweet glazing with the salty bacon is an unbelievable combination, you will not be disappointed.

1 comment:

  1. "apple smoked bacon" ummmmm, AWESOME! I love your creative combinations.

    I would totally try that doughnut burger given the right circumstances :)

    ReplyDelete